Newborn Feet

Newborn Feet

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Perfect & Perfectly Sane

For those that have never been a surrogate it is hard to comprehend the amount of screening that a potential surrogate goes though before being accepted to work with an agency (and should go through to work independently!).  My physical health is just as important as my mental health.   As  an IP  you want to know that your surrogate is health in mind, body & spirit.

I will share a sampling of the MMPI questions on another post.   The tests consists of 567 True/False Questions -

Our psyche testing was done at the GG offices and I was able to meet a couple of the girls I have been working with via email/telephone.  Always nice to put a face with a name.  Our appointment was at 9am but we arrived just after 8am so we were able to relax in their living room which, on a clear day would have given us a clear view of the famous Hollywood sign.   My psychologist, Kim was able to do a quick phone call with us and we'll be doing the 'official' questions this coming week.   Since she worked with me on my last to journeys she said - I know you and I'm not too worried about things.   :)

After our meeting at GG we got a quick breakfast and then called a cab to take us to the RE's office.

I originally was scheduled to see an RE in Beverly Hills but the German couple is looking like they will be using an ED so we changed doctors.  I gave my preference to the agency to use Ringler since I have used with twice before...... and they were able to fit me into their schedule with less than 24 hour notice.

I got a lot more paperwork to go through and sign - so far 31 pages to initial & sign before we go back for our transfer.   Four vials of blood and a urine sample were collected and will be tested for the following:


1. Hepatitis B antigen (HepBAg)
2. Hepatitis C antibody (HepCAb)
3. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV 1&2)
4. Human T-Lymphocyte Virus (HTLV 1&2)
5. Cytomegalovirus (CMV lgG & lgM)
6. Rapid Plasma Reagin (RPR)
7. Rubella titer
8. Rubeola (lgG &lgM) ; Varicella (lgG & lgM)
9. Blood type & Rh
         a.   TSH
         b.   Indirect Coombs Test
10. Cervical cultures for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia
11. Pap smear
12. Uterine evaluation  - Sonohysterogram
13. Urine blood screening

My husband is also required to complete the first 6 tests (and I think #13 also - 'cuz they made him give a urine sample). 

The pap smear and sonohysterogram was completed after a few pages of previous pregnancy history.   *It is nice because I can refer to my surro kids by name and he knows who I am talking about.  :)   They are personal friends of my first family.*  The sonohysterogram is a saline solution injected into my uterus and then using a "wienie wand" ultrasound they check my uterus for an abnormalities such as polyps or cysts that would make it difficult for my uterus to be nice, fluffy & comfy for the future embryos to stick and settle in for 9 months.   Although turning my uterus into a water balloon does produce some slight cramping it isn't much worse than period pains.   It is also strongly recommended that wear a panty liner - what goes up must come down!   I was declared:  "Perfect Heather, you are just perfect" by Dr. Ringler!

It was a long day, but we had a nice mini vacation/Valentines Day escape.  DH and I enjoyed a *wonderful* dinner at a restaurant called 'Paparazzi' in our hotel and then lounged by the pool in a cabana just to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.  Since schedules don't always work out we were unable to get together with my first family so we had 7 hours to kill before our scheduled flight home.  We tried to fly standby on the ONE earlier flight, but with 21 people on standby, we didn't make it.

I appreciate all the positive thoughts and prayers for safe travels for us and our children we left to play with their grandma's - they all did wonderful!   Your support & love is greatly appreciated!!

Next stop is our match meeting - we will either be doing an over the phone meeting or they have asked if we would be willing to travel to New York.    Either way works for us!


Until then I'll be starting my prenatal vitamins - I was given 4 samples to try.  Depending on how close we are to contracts by the time my next cycles starts (with myself and the ED) I will be starting BCP - birth control pills to help with the synchronization of my cycle with the ED's.   Let the fun begin!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some girls like chocolate - I like comments!
Leave some love. <3